All Tarted Up – Strawberry Lemon Mousse
Light, fluffy, creamy strawberry infused with lemon zest.
Feeling blessed with summer bounties. I am beginning to think this is my favorite time of year. I haven’t had a summer off since I was in high school, so I am enjoying the ease of the days and the hot dry heat here in the mountains above the fog line; knowing full well the ocean is mine in twenty minutes.
I was inspired by strawberry lemonade, cool desserts with the sun ripened fruit are just my style. This one is ever so creamy, yet the tang of lemon provides respite to the heady just picked strawberry flavors. A versatile mousse; may be served as a parfait — here it is layered with lemon curd. Or try frozen in a tart shell.
- 2 ½ cups fresh strawberries, cut in halves/quarters (about 2 pints)
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¼ - ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lemon Slices
- Sliced Strawberries
- Wash, stem and cut 2 ½ cups fresh ripe strawberries and add ¼- ½ cup sugar. Reserve 4-5 fresh whole berries for garnish. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight. Drain resulting juices, should be about 1 cup. Reserve berries for later.
- Whisk together strawberry, 1 teaspoon lemon zest and lemon juices with cornstarch in small saucepan.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Whip softened cream cheese in a large bowl with ¾ cup confectioner’s sugar.
- Measure 2 cups of cut strawberries and 2 teaspoon lemon zest, place in blender.
- Add thickened fruit juices and puree for 30 seconds or so, it is ok to leave a few chunks.
- Stir pureed fruit mixture into cream cheese.
- In another bowl, whipped heavy cream, ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar and vanilla into stiff peaks.
- Gently fold 2 cups whipped cream into fruit/cream cheese mixture until incorporated fully, but still light and fluffy.
- Chill for 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- Spoon or pipe into tart shells, single crust pie shell or parfait glasses.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon and halved fresh strawberries
- If your strawberries are very sweet and juicy add less sugar. Garnish with fresh strawberries.
- You might also want place in the freezer for a “frozen” mousse pie for upcoming warm weather.
Carla Hall's Strawberry Lemon Icebox Pie